As soon as I came to New Student Orientation, becoming apart of the CBU family, I noticed the staff seemed to stress DATING, MARRIAGE, and PRO-COUPLES (if that's a word). It was kind of perturbing and strange at first simply because in high school all you here from the faculty is: "NO PDA! NO BOYFRIEND& GIRLFRIEND STUFF. NO HOLDING HANDS. DON'T SIT BY EACH OTHER." -and other demands similar to those. The dating stereotypes of being a Christian also counteracted with what I was hearing here. I don't know why I thought I was going to run into a lot of single people, but that is Far from what I observed. As school started I communicated with many girls in the dorm halls that have boyfriends who attend CBU and many of them repeated this phrase: "Yeah, I am glad me and my boyfriend go to CBU, because it's awesome that we can grow in our faith with God together." Honestly, it was kind of crazy how many times I heard that. I even heard a teacher say to a group of female students, "If you're looking for a boyfriend, there's plenty of good guys here. It's almost inevitable that you'll find your husband here." My reaction is WHAT?!! REALLY?!! In a way it was exciting to here, and many of the girls' reaction was some-what of anxiety, but I kind got thrown off because I knew that's not what I (me, myself personally) was here for. I didn't come to college looking for a spouse, I came to get my education and make new friends, grow closer to God, and have fun- it was kind of a throw off! After the first couple of weeks of school I met 2 engaged sophomores, over 35 freshman couples, and juniors/seniors?...ALL of them are dating! Hand in hand, arm in arm, lap in lap- that are the images I observed. It almost makes us few NON-dating people feel like outcast. But in a way I am kind of excited to see if I will fall under the school's curse (not in a bad way) of finding that true love. -Guess we're going to have to wait and see (=
~Cassidy
Hey Cassie! I found myself asking the same question at times, but, yes, all in God timing. Did you hear that the school used, i guess still does, have the nickname of California Bridal College? Ha, I'm one junior who isn't in a relationship or looking for one.
ReplyDeleteI am enjoying the layout and title of you page, and I'm a nature girl too! There's nothing like it! Quick question ,and I can ask you in class, but how far is Sugarland from Waco?
I'll be your boo... just kidding. But do not worry, we have only been here for a little over a month and a half.
ReplyDeleteAh yes, the much sought-after MRS degree. You make some good points and emphasis on dating can be very distracting to students who came to college for an education as opposed to a relationship. It's also worth noting that I actually know people from CBU who have avoided TWIRP events because they were afraid people would get the wrong idea about who they chose to go with (even if it was meant to be a strict "just friends" outing).
ReplyDeleteIt seems to me that many people go to college in search of that certain someone. Ring by spring.
ReplyDelete